tom cruise rise to stardom and longevity
herr blob
2005-06-30 12:38:34 UTC
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts.

he understands the power of

1. A for effort

2. prestige by association.

the 80s saw many pretty new faces. rob lowe and the whole brat pack
gang.

while cruise wasn't part of this gang, he was considered teenybopper
material, fluff, lightweight.
he was perfect in risky business but he seemed typecast. not a REAL
actor. no one thought he would become a big big star with lasting
power.

so how he done it?

there was the prestige via association. he was very eager to work with
top name directors and actors like martin scorsese, paul newman, and
dustin hoffman. the older stars rode on tom's youthful popularity but
their prestige also rubbed off on tom. though tom didn't do shi* in
color of money, there he was, right alongside paul newman. it was like
he was carrying the torch. in rain man, he was there next to dustin
hoffman. he became a serious actor by association.

notice how tom, though mega-bankable, is always careful to alternate
between HIT movies and art movies. he will work with guys like PT
Anderson and Oliver Stone cuz even if the movies are risky, cruise
gains recognition as a SERIOUS actor, as someone willing to lay
everything on the line for ART.
it is a risky business after all. 'risky business' actually
anticipated the dynamics of tom's future career. he's been playing both
earnest and sneaky in a the whore-ish game of the movie industry. he's
a gigolo with the heart of gold. in the movie, joey gets both pussy,
makes sleazy dough, and gets into princeton. in real life, cruise
plays big star celebrity and gets recognition as a genuine actor.

also, tom also knows the power of effort. he tries so very hard that
we end up rooting for him, sympathize with him, wanna like him.
consider 'born on the fourth of july'. he wasn't great but he tried so
very hard that he was more than good, or it impressed us that way.
he did the same in magnolia and some other riske flicks.
at a cynical time when most actors wanna be just hip or cool, tom gets
all emotional and heavy and intense. it's kinda embarassing but
effective too. when he gets all hammy in last samurai or minority
report or goes gaga over katie holmes, and we are impressed by his
sincerity... though we wonder, how truly sincere is it?
and just when we think he's too sincere, he stars in a michael mann
movie as a badass coldhearted killer. he surprises us.

so, tom knows how to alternate between earnest and badass, between
popular and arty, between teenybopperish and serious/mature.
i'm really surprised that he's survived for so long. take sean penn
who's very talented. among the 80s young actors, penn is one of the
great survivors cuz he had talent. cruise didn't have great talent.
he was pretty but there were plenty of pretty boys in the 80s. yet,
tom survived and grew ever bigger and bigger thru the 90s and even as
of today.

you gotta give credit where it's due. tom is career-smart. and give
scientology credit for giving him the inspiration to transform his
limited talent into megasuccess.
h***@brazee.net
2005-07-02 02:23:17 UTC
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts.
He's quite smart. Which makes it so irritating to see how big of an idiot
he is.
Kris Baker
2005-07-02 02:48:42 UTC
Post by h***@brazee.net
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts.
He's quite smart. Which makes it so irritating to see how big of an idiot
he is.
He has some innate intelligence, but being a high school drop-out,
he lacks the education that would decrease his gullibility and
increase his discernment. He's fallen hook/line/sinker for an
irrational, science-fiction based "religion" and seems to absorb
everything they tell him, without question.

Despite what some say about the "powerful" Scientologists
blackmailing him (and I believed that, until just recently), his
star status actually gives him power over them. If he
decided to turn on them, who'd believe those wackjobs if
he started spilling the beans?

But he won't. He's a True Believer.

Kris
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-07-02 05:32:03 UTC
Post by Kris Baker
Post by h***@brazee.net
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts.
He's quite smart. Which makes it so irritating to see how big of an idiot
he is.
He has some innate intelligence, but being a high school drop-out,
he lacks the education that would decrease his gullibility and
increase his discernment. He's fallen hook/line/sinker for an
irrational, science-fiction based "religion" and seems to absorb
everything they tell him, without question.
Does anybody believe he actually read research papers on the foundations of
psychiatry? He read some Scientology based synopsis.
Kris
lauracap
2005-07-02 11:58:58 UTC
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts
I think the ability to pick good movies to be in is a factor no one
considers. For all we know, Tom Cruise longs to play the dancing
romantic lead in a musical comedy but he's smart enough to sublimate
that desire. Some lead actors are good actors. Some lead actors are
good-looking. Some lead actors are good pickers (of scripts and
agents). I don't think the last element is less important than the
first. I think Tom Cruise is a good picker and he should be admired for
his good sense in that regard even if some judge him to be wacko in
other areas of his life. I also don't think it's somehow less
noble/selling out for any artist to know what they want from their
career and go for it, even if that goal is power and money. We seem to
set different standards/expectation for artists and, oh say,
businessmen and I don't think that's right.

Laura
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-07-02 13:46:50 UTC
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts
I think the ability to pick good movies to be in is a factor no one
considers.
We've no reason to believe HE picked any of the movies. He's had handlers
his whole career.

Post by lauracap
romantic lead in a musical comedy but he's smart enough to sublimate
that desire. Some lead actors are good actors. Some lead actors are
good-looking. Some lead actors are good pickers (of scripts and
agents). I don't think the last element is less important than the
first. I think Tom Cruise is a good picker and he should be admired for
his good sense in that regard even if some judge him to be wacko in
other areas of his life.
I think it will be interesting to watch now that he's fired the woman that
handled him his whole career and is being entirely controlled by the
'church' what movies he chooses -- frankly I hope the offers dry up.

Laura
John Harkness
2005-07-02 14:34:45 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts
I think the ability to pick good movies to be in is a factor no one
considers.
We've no reason to believe HE picked any of the movies. He's had handlers
his whole career.
Every actor has "handlers' -- whether they be Scientologists or agents
or managers or both.

So, who does a better job picking projects, Tom Cruise or Cuba Gooding
Jr.?

John Harkness
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-07-02 15:44:35 UTC
Post by John Harkness
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts
I think the ability to pick good movies to be in is a factor no one
considers.
We've no reason to believe HE picked any of the movies. He's had handlers
his whole career.
Every actor has "handlers' -- whether they be Scientologists or agents
or managers or both.
So, who does a better job picking projects, Tom Cruise or Cuba Gooding
Jr.?
We have no idea how good a job Tom Cruise does of picking projects. We know
that his non scientologist handlers seemed to do a good job. Now he's got
rid of them.
Nick Macpherson
2005-07-02 16:19:00 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by John Harkness
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts
I think the ability to pick good movies to be in is a factor no one
considers.
We've no reason to believe HE picked any of the movies. He's had handlers
his whole career.
Every actor has "handlers' -- whether they be Scientologists or agents
or managers or both.
So, who does a better job picking projects, Tom Cruise or Cuba Gooding
Jr.?
We have no idea how good a job Tom Cruise does of picking projects. We know
that his non scientologist handlers seemed to do a good job. Now he's got
rid of them.
Tom Cruise, or his handlers (Scientologist or otherwise), ability to
pick good projects is secondary to the fact that the world's best
directors are willing to work with him. Picking projects isn't hard
when you have Scorsese, Spielberg, Kubrick, Mann, De Palma, PTA, Stone,
etc. knocking at your door. How many actors in American film history
have literally been able to work with any director he wants to? Cruise
is one of them.
m***@aol.com
2005-07-02 19:43:41 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
Tom Cruise, or his handlers (Scientologist or otherwise), ability to
pick good projects is secondary to the fact that the world's best
directors are willing to work with him. Picking projects isn't hard
when you have Scorsese, Spielberg, Kubrick, Mann, De Palma, PTA, Stone,
etc. knocking at your door. How many actors in American film history
have literally been able to work with any director he wants to? Cruise
is one of them.
And I think Tom Cruise has developed into a pretty decent actor over
the years. He's no Russell Crowe or Leonardo DiCaprio, but with his
roles in Magnolia and Collateral he has shown range, and the fact that
every major director wants to work with him is proof positive that he
does have acting chops.
w***@laway.net
Oi veh. The Clams are amonst us.
herr blob
2005-07-02 20:14:25 UTC
but, alot of actors don't wanna take the chance. more often, you have
great actors going for the bucks and starring in tv-remake-movies.

but, tom is willing to make room for 'arty' roles.

and he has proven himself as an actor enough that art directors are
willing to use him.
no matter how popular the husband of demi moore--what's his name--is at
the moment, what big name director would wanna work with him?
h***@brazee.net
2005-07-02 22:28:41 UTC
Also - the two actors who were first to have a billion dollars worth of
movie returns are Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford. Producers like that in a
star.
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-07-02 20:40:11 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by John Harkness
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
how did tom do it? people say he's dumb but he's got two smarts
I think the ability to pick good movies to be in is a factor no one
considers.
We've no reason to believe HE picked any of the movies. He's had handlers
his whole career.
Every actor has "handlers' -- whether they be Scientologists or agents
or managers or both.
So, who does a better job picking projects, Tom Cruise or Cuba Gooding
Jr.?
We have no idea how good a job Tom Cruise does of picking projects. We know
that his non scientologist handlers seemed to do a good job. Now he's got
rid of them.
Tom Cruise, or his handlers (Scientologist or otherwise), ability to
pick good projects is secondary to the fact that the world's best
directors are willing to work with him.
Or were. I'd bet he's making himself less attractive to the studios every
day.

Picking projects isn't hard
is one of them.
Nick Macpherson
2005-07-02 20:56:58 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by John Harkness
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
[...]
His box office (like most every other movie star) has been eroding the
last few years. Collateral barely hit 100 million and that was one of
his better films. But whatever natural aging movie star decline he's
been going through, along with the Scientology and Katie Holmes
inspired backlash (at least he doesn't think his own wife is going to
hell or wants to kill Frank Rich's dog), the success of War of the
Worlds has put his day of reckoning back a bit.

By the way, if Tom Cruise doesn't believe in psychology, how can he
act? I mean, Travolta's a Scientologist but he plods on through the
decades working his Vinnie Barbarino persona, so you know he doesn't
put any mental effort into what he's doing, but what about Cruise?
What the hell was he thinking about the couple of years he was stuck
with Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut? I'm in the dark as to how an
actor can create a character if he doesn't believe in psychology.
John Harkness
2005-07-02 20:59:23 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Nick Macpherson
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by John Harkness
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
[...]
Does he not believe in psychology or is it psychiatry.

John
not really following this closely.
m***@aol.com
2005-07-02 21:52:55 UTC
Tom Cruise knows the history of Psychiatry, and we don't.
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-07-03 01:55:30 UTC
He's read the research.
herr blob
2005-07-03 02:21:15 UTC
Post by m***@aol.com
Post by John Harkness
Does he not believe in psychology or is it psychiatry.
Tom Cruise knows the history of Psychiatry, and we don't.
i dunno the history, but we all know the result of psychiatry. 99%
ineffective.
it's a rich secular person's going-to-confession.
it can be helpful if you wanna UNDERSTAND yourself. but, understanding
is not enough to cure the problem. often, it can even makes things
worse by making the patient aware of something he'd rather repress.
darius
2005-07-05 15:21:11 UTC
Post by herr blob
i dunno the history, but we all know the result of psychiatry. 99%
ineffective.
it's a rich secular person's going-to-confession.
it can be helpful if you wanna UNDERSTAND yourself. but, understanding
is not enough to cure the problem. often, it can even makes things
worse by making the patient aware of something he'd rather repress.
Umm, you're thinking of psychotherapy, which is only one part of
psychiatry.

There are people with mental illness. Psychiatry helps them.

z***@yahoo.com
2005-07-03 13:12:06 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
His box office (like most every other movie star) has been eroding the
last few years. Collateral barely hit 100 million and that was one of
his better films.
It may have been one of his better films but it wasn't quite as
commercial as, say, Mission Impossible. And if you look at his last 5
movies (Collateral, Last Samurai, Minority Report, Vanilla Sky, Mission
Impossible II), *all* of them have made $100+ million. That's a pretty
good consistency, especially considering that only one of those movies
was part of a "franchise" (MI:2).
Post by Nick Macpherson
By the way, if Tom Cruise doesn't believe in psychology, how can he
act?
Not to defend his rather bizarre beliefs on the subject, but my
understanding is that he (and other Scientologists) reject psychiatry,
not psychology. Specifically, (for reasons that are hard to
understand) he doesn't like the science of diagnosing mental illnesses
as practiced today by medical professionals, including the use of
psychiatric medication. He doesn't (to my understanding) reject the
basic idea that people have feelings, etc., which is necessary to be an
actor. I don't agree with him I'm just reporting what I understand to
be the case.
Post by Nick Macpherson
I mean, Travolta's a Scientologist but he plods on through the
decades working his Vinnie Barbarino persona, so you know he doesn't
put any mental effort into what he's doing,
I don't really agree with this. I don't think Travolta is the truly
great actor of our time or anything, but it's not as if Vinnie
Barbarino, a teenage hood from Brooklyn, is all he plays now. Consider
Phenomenon, Michael, Primary Colors, Ladder 49, and even silly movies
like Look Who's Talking. Not to mention that weird space alien thing in
Crapfest 3000, uh, I mean Battlefield Earth. Not always great parts to
say the least, but not Vinnie Barbarino.
Post by Nick Macpherson
but what about Cruise?
What the hell was he thinking about the couple of years he was stuck
with Stanley Kubrick and Eyes Wide Shut?
It's hard to tell how good a movie will be when you're working on it,
and most actors would be willing to take a risk if the director is
Stanley Kubrick.

I actually didn't hate that movie as much as some people seemed to.
Based on the buzz I was expecting something horrible, and it did have
some problems but was a lot more interesting than I expected.
Nick Macpherson
2005-07-03 14:11:21 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Post by Nick Macpherson
By the way, if Tom Cruise doesn't believe in psychology, how can he
act?
Not to defend his rather bizarre beliefs on the subject, but my
understanding is that he (and other Scientologists) reject psychiatry,
not psychology.
My mistake. I was confusing John Travolta with a devoutly Catholic
ex-girlfriend from school, who was studing theater and rejected "the
subconcious". It's a fairly common condition, confusing Tom Cruise
with ex-girlfriends, and I'm on electro-shock and medication right now
to get me through it.
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Post by Nick Macpherson
I mean, Travolta's a Scientologist but he plods on through the
decades working his Vinnie Barbarino persona, so you know he doesn't
put any mental effort into what he's doing,
I don't really agree with this. I don't think Travolta is the truly
great actor of our time or anything, but it's not as if Vinnie
Barbarino, a teenage hood from Brooklyn, is all he plays now. Consider
Phenomenon, Michael, Primary Colors, Ladder 49, and even silly movies
like Look Who's Talking. Not to mention that weird space alien thing in
Crapfest 3000, uh, I mean Battlefield Earth. Not always great parts to
say the least, but not Vinnie Barbarino.
Travolta's career shows that being a Scientologist, one way or the
other, doesn't effect creer choices (Battlefield Earth, excepted).
I've always liked Travolta more than Cruise--he's warmer and more
charismatic and Saturday Night Fever is a great film of the seventies
no one talks about anymore because unlike a lot of great films of the
seventies, it was actually a commercial hit. But coming out of Pulp
Fiction, Travolta could've had the career that Tom Cruise continues to
have, but he's been stupid, mercenary and lazy. Cruise wouldn't have
turned down Chicago because he wasn't offered enough money and Cruise
wouldn't have derailed a Roman Polanski film by walking off it (David
Lynch said walking out of a Roman Polanski film is a crime against
cinema).
ANIM8Rfsk
2005-07-03 15:31:51 UTC
Why would it? The ultimate goal is to give Scientology a lot of money.
z***@yahoo.com
2005-07-03 19:02:19 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
But coming out of Pulp
Fiction, Travolta could've had the career that Tom Cruise continues to
have, but he's been stupid, mercenary and lazy.
He's also older, and put on quite a bit of weight for a while (I guess
that's part of "lazy"), so the two probably weren't up for the same
parts.
Post by Nick Macpherson
Cruise wouldn't have
turned down Chicago because he wasn't offered enough money
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Travolta might have been good, too,
considering he actually had performed in musicals before.
Post by Nick Macpherson
and Cruise
wouldn't have derailed a Roman Polanski film by walking off it (David
Lynch said walking out of a Roman Polanski film is a crime against
cinema).
Hadn't heard that either. Which film was it? Polanski may be a
sleazebag rapist afraid to face justice, but I have to admit he is an
excellent filmmaker. For some reason I wasn't expecting to like "The
Pianist," but in my opinion it's a *very* good movie.
John Harkness
2005-07-03 20:03:09 UTC
Post by Nick Macpherson
Cruise wouldn't have
turned down Chicago because he wasn't offered enough money
Wow, I hadn't heard that. Travolta might have been good, too,
considering he actually had performed in musicals before.
So had Gere -- he'd done Grease on stage, and Travolta's role, at
that.

John Harkness
Rosie The Dog
Would have spared us the "singing" of Richard Gere.
George Peatty
2005-07-04 15:24:34 UTC
Post by Rosie The Dog
Would have spared us the "singing" of Richard Gere.
I preferred his singing to his dancing. I found both adequate if not
exceptional ..
Nick Macpherson
2005-07-04 01:36:08 UTC
Post by z***@yahoo.com
Post by Nick Macpherson
and Cruise
wouldn't have derailed a Roman Polanski film by walking off it (David
Lynch said walking out of a Roman Polanski film is a crime against
cinema).
Hadn't heard that either. Which film was it? Polanski may be a
sleazebag rapist afraid to face justice, but I have to admit he is an
excellent filmmaker. For some reason I wasn't expecting to like "The
Pianist," but in my opinion it's a *very* good movie.
The Double. I'm not sure of the circumstances now, but after Travolta
left, there was some talk of replacing him with Steve Martin but that
didn't pan out (and Martin was in the running for Tom Cruise's part in
EWS at one point too, back when Kubrick had more blatantly comedic
intentions for the film, going for intentionally funny instead of
unintentionally funny).

David Lynch on John Travolta's disagreements with Roman Polanski:
"John owes it to the history of cinema to listen to every *doggone*
thing Roman Polanski says! The world is ass-backwards."
Alan Moorman
2005-07-02 17:37:22 UTC
Post by lauracap
Post by herr blob
[...]
You're right, but I think you have to credit his former manager for being
the very astute picker and chooser that she was. I don't know why he
dumped her, or what the story is about that, but he used to be PERFECTLY
managed so that when he made an appearance he enhanced his image.
And, when he was cast in a role, it was something he could usually do well.

But, somehow,. . . . . . .

Alan Moorman

Just a little rule:
An apostrophe does NOT mean "here comes an 's' ."

GARTINsux
alejandro de tacobell
2005-07-03 21:56:54 UTC
and don't forget he looks like a perpetual 17 yr old. he's over 40 yet
he looks younger than most 30 yr olds.
in a box office culture dominated by young uns, cruise has
fountain-of-youth magic.